Wake up! It's HighScalability time:
Do you like this sort of Stuff? I'd greatly appreciate your support on Patreon. Know anyone who needs cloud? I wrote Explain the Cloud Like I'm 10 just for them. It has 40 mostly 5 star reviews. They'll learn a lot and love you even more.
- 300%: AWS IoT growth per year; 74%: mobile games user spending in the App store; 31.4 trillion: new record for calculating digits of pi (121 days); 112Gbps: Intel's SerDes; 100M: image and video dataset; 1.5 trillion suns: weight of the Milky Way; 300+: backdoored apps on GitHub; 10%: hacked self-driving cars needed to bring traffic to a halt; $3 million: Marriott data breach cost after insurance;
- Quoteable Quotes:
- @kelseyhightower: Platform in a box solutions that are attempting to turn Kubernetes into a PaaS are missing the "as a service" part. It's more like PaaR: Platform as a Responsibility. Your responsibility to purchase, staff, patch, scale, and upgrade.
- DHH: We’re stopping all major product development at Basecamp for the moment, and dedicating all our attention to fixing these single points of failure that the recent cloud outages have revealed. We’re also going to pull back from our big migration to the cloud for a while, until we’re able to comfortably commit to a multi-region, multi-provider setup that’s more resilient against these outages...We were using Google Cloud Storage, but given too many issues big and small over the year, we’ll be migrating to AWS S3 for storage going forward.
- Daniel Ek: after careful consideration, Spotify has filed a complaint against Apple with the European Commission (EC), the regulatory body responsible for keeping competition fair and nondiscriminatory. In recent years, Apple has introduced rules to the App Store that purposely limit choice and stifle innovation at the expense of the user experience—essentially acting as both a player and referee to deliberately disadvantage other app developers. After trying unsuccessfully to resolve the issues directly with Apple, we’re now requesting that the EC take action to ensure fair competition.
- Many more quotes await your reading pleasure...