Wake up! It's HighScalability time:
Like sparkle from a fairy godmother's wand a swarm of 300 autonomous burner drones take flight. (mnn)
Do you like this sort of Stuff? Please lend me your support on Patreon. It would mean a great deal to me. And if you know anyone looking for a simple book that uses lots of pictures and lots of examples to explain the cloud, then please recommend my new book: Explain the Cloud Like I'm 10. They'll love you even more.
- 60: Marchetti's constant—minutes humans allocate to commuting over history; 300 billion: eBay data queries processed each day; $1: 1GHz ARM Cortex-A8 processor capable of running Linux; 20M:Mega-scale Multi-sensor Photo-realistic Indoor Scenes Dataset; 1 billion: Lyft rides; 600+: engineers @ Pinterest (+175B Pins to +250M people); 50%: workplace tasks handled by machines by 2025; 28: years of Hubble Space Imagery on AWS; 500 petabytes: eBay data footprint; 10 million: Gmail spam messages prevented per minute; 5 trillion: Apple's A12 operations per second; $220 billion: investment in new fabs and lines; 43%: Americans who something on Netflix each day;
- Quotable Quotes:
- Linus Torvalds: This week people in our community confronted me about my lifetime of not understanding emotions. My flippant attacks in emails have been both unprofessional and uncalled for. Especially at times when I made it personal. In my quest for a better patch, this made sense to me. I know now this was not OK and I am truly sorry.
- @jessfraz: To those in my mentions. This "foundation" which has tax breaks... Is paying people who don't contribute to the kernel 400k a year. Would you like to rethink your "they build the kernel" comments.
- Aria Bracci: Using a previously established, peer-reviewed technique, the team conducted more than half a million data traffic tests across 161 countries. From this data, the team found that internet service providers are “giving a fixed amount of bandwidth—typically something in the range of one and a half megabits per second to four megabits per second—to video traffic, but they don’t impose these limits on other network traffic.”
- @mjpt777: "Patterson indicated that rewriting Python into C gets you a 50 times speedup in performance".
- @JoeEmison: The idea that any kind of planning will necessarily lead to overengineering is part of the anti-planning developer culture that misunderstands the agile manifesto.
- Marie Hicks: The dynamic continues to this day. Silicon Valley reaps enormous profits at the expense of the majority of users, and calls it progress. But technology’s alignment with actual progress has a long and uneven history, and its effects are rarely straightforward or fully foreseen. Real progress isn’t synonymous with building another app—it involves recognizing the problems in our society and confronting the uncomfortable fact that technology is a tool for wielding power over people. Too often, those who already hold power, those who are least able to recognize the flaws in our current systems, are the ones who decide our technological future.
- More quotes...