Wake up! It's HighScalability time:
The modern day inner sanctum revealed for all to experience. Nausea no extra charge.
- 8x: V8 Promiss.all parallel performance improvement; 1.3%: print sales increase; 11%: over 65 shared a hoax; 40%: add jobs after deploying AI; 3%: Eventbot's revenue pledged to open source; 51%: successful Ethereum attack; $308,620: cost of a Bitcoin 51% attack; $30: Apple services revenue per device per year; .3 cents: earnings from selling private data; 2,000: baguettes a day produced on French aircraft carrier; 5.6 nm: future smallest grains on a magnetic disk; 11,000: free books from 1923;
- Quotable Quotes:
- @mekkaokereke: He joined SpaceX as a "founding employee." He designed the Merlin engine. He's CTO of Propulsion. His name is Tom Mueller. Everyone knows Elon Musk. No one knows Tom Mueller, even though Tom is the one currently designing a rocket that will put humans on Mars. 🤷🏿♂️
- Dr. Rachael Tatman: My universal advice is to not get a Ph.D. I even wrote a blog post about it a while ago. The blog’s about linguistics specifically, but most of it applies to machine learning as well. I think that having a Ph.D. can be an advantage when you’re looking for data science jobs, but unless you really want to 1) do research or 2) be a professor there’s no really no benefit to getting a Ph.D. that you can can’t get more quickly doing something else.
@unclebobmartin: Unit tests are written by programmers for programmers. Acceptance tests are specified by customers for customers. Integration tests are written by architects for architects.
- @wrathofgnon: A city can be seen as an attempt to solve the predicament that is human existence. No building can solve all problems, and as soon as we come up with what we think is a solution, we are faced with a new (often far worse) set of problems. Historically cities have been compromises.
- cdixon: Smartphones are a good example of a broader historical pattern: technologies usually arrive in pairs, a strong form and a weak form...But it’s strong technologies that end up defining new eras...Weak technologies adapt to the world as it currently exists. Strong technologies adapt the world to themselves. Progress depends on strong technologies.
- This way to more quotes...